When I was a student, I used to come to the library to get things done. I found that my home just had too many distractions: There was a TV, and a computer with Internet, and it was just too easy to click off and watch a video, or do something else. My efforts to stay focused on task were sometime successful, but sometimes, it was just too easy to find something else to do.
Now that I am working for myself, I find myself in the same boat again. I can just stay at home and work from there, but all of the same problems apply. I also specifically have these issues with working at home:
- It can get boring and lonely. I am used to being around other people when I work, even if I am not actually talking to them.
- I live in a condo, so I might get cabin fever.
- My desk is more suited to leaning back and relaxing, which is great for playing games and stuff like that, but is uncomfortable for long periods of typing and working. I don’t have the space for a large desk which would solve this problem.
Do you have any problems with your current workplace?
- Can you get things done, without distractions?
- Can you stay focused, and on task?
- Can you be comfortable for long periods of time?
My solution: go to the library! The library is a great place to get stuff done. First, it is usually a quiet place, so you can work without distractions. Second, because of the studious atmosphere, it is easier to maintain concentration and focus for a longer period of time. Finally, there are no easy escapes to the TV or to the kitchen for a snack, so it forces you to stay on task.
I am also starting to experiment with working in cafés, which, while noisier, may also be able to stimulate creativity and could provide a different way of getting $*#& done.
Dear reader, where do you get your $*#& done? What sort of environment do you prefer?