There is a lot of interesting stuff going on the world right now. Across the northern half of the African continent and especially in Egypt right now, people have been rising up in a rage against the stagnation and oppression of the existing regimes; they demand opportunity and change. When a place becomes so corrupt that you need to grease the wheels in order to have a good job and life, then there can be little hope for progress so long as the corrupt regime remains in place.
Will Egypt change for the better, and will the Egyptian people get a government more accountable to its citizens? That remains to be seen. They could go down a brighter path of equal rights and opportunity for all, or they could go down the dark path of theocracy. One thing is certain: Any government’s power ultimately rests on the consent of the people. When that consent fades away and is removed, no government can hold onto its power forever, and things can eventually reach a boiling point and explode.
Congratulations goes out to the winners of my two most recent giveaways:
- Barbara Friedberg of Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance, who has won a complementary copy of “We Have Met the Enemy: Self Control in an Age of Excess“!
- Nicole of Grumpy rumblings of the untenured, who has won a complementary copy of “Early Retirement Extreme“!
Thanks for taking part in the giveaways and for leaving great comments!
Thanks to Khaleef for mentioning Invest It Wisely on his post “Best Personal Finance Blogs In 2010, And Ones To Watch In 2011“. I am honoured to be part of the list!
Mich at Beating The Index discusses Why High Oil Prices are Good.
In Search of Salt is currently running a giveaway; thanks for awarding me a prize! There are plenty of prizes left, so head over to see what you can win!
- January 2011 Blog Statistics and Income Update (Budgeting in the Fun Stuff)
- Food Riots and China’s 12th Five Year Plan (101 Centavos)
- Seeking an Interest Rate Solution: Why the US Federal Reserve should raise short term rates (Investing Thesis)
- Investment Fundamental #1 – Your Partner (Retire by 40)
- The Beginners Investing Guide (Buy Like Buffett)
- Blending Work And Pleasure (Money Reasons)
- Best of 2010 from Hope to Prosper (Hope to Prosper)
- My Kid Set The Thermostat to 90 Degrees – in 20 Degree Weather!! (Darwin’s Money)
- 7 Steps to Get Out of Debt and Get Rich – Dave Ramsey (Life And My Finances)
- 9 Tips for Tax Time That Will Save You Expensive Laser Wrinkle Removal (Bucksome Boomer)
- 10 Home Renovation Tips – Learn From Our Experience (Everyday Tips and Thoughts)
- Financing My Dream? (Krantcents)
- HOMEMADE DIVERSION SAFES: SAVE MONEY BY MAKING YOUR OWN (Frugal Confessions)
- How To Save Money During Soon to Be Inflationary Times (The Wall Street Chalkboard)
- The Lesser of Two Evils: Bankruptcy or Debt Consolidation? (Little House in the Valley)
- What Financial Records Should You Keep? (Not Made of Money)
- WHAT YOUR NEW ASTROLOGICAL SIGN MEANS FOR YOUR MONEY? (Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance)
- When Two Incomes Become One (MomVesting)
- Gold and Silver Are Worthless (Personal Finance By The Book)
- The Decline of Personal Responsibility (Hope to Prosper)
- Who Is the Captain of Your Financial Ship? (The Wealth Artisan)
- Bad Tenant Incidents and Lessons Learned (First Gen American)
Thanks to The Biz of Life for sharing this.
Have a great weekend, all!