It’s a heat wave up here in Canada right now! Temperatures over the weekend hit 32°C+, before counting in any humidity. It was a great weekend to do a bit of swimming. Something that is common up here in Canada is for many people to cover their pools with semi-transparent plastic covers that can be easily rolled & unrolled; otherwise, the water stays ice-cold as most nights up here are cold, even during the summer. Some people do prefer swimming in ice-cold water…
This weekend I spent some time visiting family that I hadn’t seen in a while, and it was a good visit although they were very busy. One cousin is expecting soon but is busy working on the new house with their husband, as they have a time limit to finish up everything if they want to be able to move in on time. I don’t know how she is able to work so hard carrying a baby, but just hope she doesn’t overdo it. The good thing is that everyone else is helping them out to finish the house, so things move more quickly.
The other cousin’s wife is also expecting soon, so that means my uncle and aunt will soon have two more grandchildren. One cousin has a daughter, the other has a son, and each one will be getting another daughter and son which will be interesting! I think I’d prefer to have one of each, but if the second son is anything like the first my cousin’s going to be very busy! 🙂
My girlfriend arrived in Ethiopia safely, and is already working today! The capital, Addis Ababa, is thousands of feet above sea level so the air is thinner over there. She really exhausted herself from the last destination, although she gained a lot of experience as well. The travel lifestyle has a lot of benefits, but it can sure be exhausting, too. We don’t yet have kids so for both of us this is the time to take advantage of the opportunity to see other places.
Posts of the week
Can Credit Cards Grow Your Wealth? – This is a guest post which asks if credit cards can grow your wealth.
Savings = Freedom – In this post, I take a look at two families and how each decided to go down a different financial path. One family found freedom.
There was a lot of good commentary on both of these articles; thanks for the good discussions, guys!
Mich discusses his weekly stock pick.
First Gen American is celebrating her first year of blogging! I’m happy to see Invest It Wisely as a top referrer! 😉
Fellow blogger Budgeting in the Fun Stuff has been inspiring a legion of bloggers with her amazing success and drive. I mentioned her at the end of Savings = Freedom as an example of the idea of investing in oneself. Very soon, she is going to be free from cubicle boredom, and based on her latest income reports maybe that’s not such a bad idea. Congrats, Crystal!
- Ignore the A-list Bloggers (ProBlogger)
- Are the United States Going All Greek ? (101 Centavos)
- Debt Deficit Deadline (Frugal Zeitgeist)
- If I had a million dollars (MoneyMamba)
- Investing in a TFSA as a Student: Your Options (Young & Thrifty)
- Simple Does It: Bond Bubble (MomVesting)
- What Led Me To Buy A Rental Property (Money is the Root)
- Why I left the mutual fund industry (My Own Advisor)
- 2011 Mid-Year Review: Developing A Better Lifestyle (Financial Samurai)
- Business school lessons: Why a B+ can far outweigh the benefits of an A. (Super Frugalette)
- Creating a Resume that Works (Stupid Cents)
- Diabetes, Money, and YOU! (Dr. Dean)
- Fashionable Pregnancy Clothes on a Budget (Sustainable PF)
- Green Collar Jobs Outperform (Financially Consumed)
- June Net Worth Update +2%! (The Financial Blogger)
- Teacher Pay vs. Athlete Pay (Thousandaire)
- 5 Money Saving Tips for Thrifty Canadians (Canadian Finance Blog)
- How to save money – 1000+ ideas from the Yakezie Network (Broke Professionals)
- Property and the Pursuit of Happiness (Afford Anything)
- The Danger In Keeping A Minimal Balance In Your Checking Account (Everyday Tips and Thoughts)
- When Can We STOP Saving Money? (Retire by 40)
- Best of Money Carnival – Gambling Edition (Budgeting in the Fun Stuff)
- Carnival of Wealth #46 – July 10 2011 Edition (Personal Dividends)
- Canadian Finance Carnival #44 (Canadian Finance Blog)
- Independence Day Totally Money Blog Carnival! (Funny About Money)
- Happy 235th, baby – Carnival of Wealth edition (Control Your Cash)