Writing a book review is one of the tasks students often face during the educational process. The ability to analyze is one of the important qualities that helps people in their lives, and the ability to analyze artistic works is nothing more than a means to extract the most important and necessary information from the reading.
How to Write a Stellar Book Review
Well, get acquainted with the piece that you are going to analyze, because the correctness and clarity of the result depend on it. Most likely, it will be a classic novel that describes many social and moral problems, the versatile and ambiguous work of the writer. Maybe something up-to-date, relevant and dynamic. The choice of the book often doesn’t depend on you, unfortunately.
- Start an analysis of the book from the general theme of the work, describe the problem-affected author, reveal the basic ideas. At the same time, try not to break the logic of your thoughts, express your thoughts consistently, without jumping from one thought to another. Pay attention to the originality of the genre of creation. Among other characteristics, a description of the linguistic features of a story inherent to this author, and the means of artistic expression that he uses, will be necessary.
- Next, make a description of the artistic images presented in the work. It is another part of the analysis that requires considerate attention. Literature is filled with everyday and common types of people whose habits are close to our understanding and whom we can’t comprehend — non-standard and amazing characters. Therefore, try to describe in detail and give their assessment of the character of the heroes.
- Smoothly turn to the plot of the book, touch its conflict, lay out the conclusions and decisions taken by either the author himself, or the character from whose person the problematic issues are raised. Plus, add an uplifted opinion on this matter.
- At the conclusion of your analysis, write about the role and significance of this book, speculate about the contribution to national and world literature. Depending on the amount of analysis required in this part, you can put some details on the biography of the writer, the peculiarities of his or her life.
- Check the text for grammatical and spelling mistakes. Edit all the questionable issues and technical omissions. Add changes correctly when necessary. Try to achieve homogeneity and integrity of the general story.
In the analysis of prose works accents are mixed — images, conflict, themes, full value and multifaceted images, etc., and therefore we recommend approximately the following schemes (parameters) of analysis.
A) Short novels, stories:
- How many episodes and events are depicted
- What are the main means and methods of creating images or characters of people
- Characters or images of the main characters (hero and antihero more complete)
- Theme of the work
- Problem and idea of the work
- The value of the work (artistic, aesthetic, social)
B) Another scheme for short stories:
- General characteristics of means and techniques of creation
- Form and composition of the work
- Comprehensive and complete analysis of the character of a hero or antihero (or both – in comparison)
- General characteristics of other actors (characters) – system of images
- The nature of the conflict
- Theme and topics
- Problem and problems
- Idea and ideological content
- Social, aesthetic or artistic value
C) Novel, novel-trilogy, romance-epic:
- Title (full analysis)
- General characteristics of the artistic/poetic means
- General characteristics of emphasizing with the selection of the most important techniques
- The form of the work and the main plot lines
- Composition and the plot
- The most complete analysis of the hero and antihero and, if there are both, you have to compare them
- Some characteristics of minor characters and those groups that stand behind the hero and antihero
- Image system and conflict
- Theme and topics
- Problems depicted and how they are solved (or how they could be solved)
- Idea and ideological input
- Artistic, social, aesthetic and other value of the work
These schemes are not final, these lists are not exhaustive, choose the ones which suit your particular book and assignment the most. Remember that a book review should not be only the reflection of your personal opinion, but a coherent analysis of the literary work. If you are looking for a team of writers for buying a book review online, you have a great opportunity to get affordable book review writing from professional service for your academic success in high school or college.