Happy Canada Day Weekend!
This weekend we celebrated Canada Day, also known as Moving Day in Québec. This day is a reminder of how lucky we are to live in such a good country. Do I think that we could do better? Sure. Our taxes are too high and spending has been increasing rapidly, and there are warning signs about the housing market.
However, at the same time, I believe that I am very fortunate to live here. I don’t have to worry about how I’m going to get food or shelter, and even when I was a poor student I didn’t have to worry about those things. I don’t need to worry about a military coup or a violent revolution. Sometimes I think we have it so good that more Canadians would do well to travel outside a bit as sometimes I think we live in a bit of a bubble.
This weekend my girlfriend left to go on a long business trip, so I actually spent my Canada Day with her, relaxing and saying goodbye. I won’t see her for three weeks, when I will be joining her in Ethiopia. That will be my first time travelling to Africa, and needless to say I’m a bit nervous, but I’m also excited and looking forward to the experience. The funny thing is that Ethiopia is actually colder than Canada at this time of year! The capital, Addis Ababa, is 2300 meters or 7700 feet above sea level, so despite its location it has a moderate climate with cool nights.
Here is some great weekend reading:
- 2011 Global Petroleum Survey: Top North American Jurisdictions for Oil and Gas Investment (Beating The Index)
- 3 Model Portfolios to Consider (Dividend Monk)
- How To Protect Your Portfolio If The Economy Does Double Dip? (Buy Like Buffett)
- My simple stock selection rules of thumb (My Own Advisor)
- Thoughts on Silver – Part 2 (101 Centavos)
- Being Rich Is Hard (Get Happy Life)
- Glamorizing black bean hummus… (Super Frugalette)
- Google Updates PageRank And The Yakezie Rises (Yakezie)
- How do you Ikea? (Super Frugalette)
- Overexposed: European Debt, Systemic Risk, and Stealth Bailouts (Balance Junkie)
- MBA SERIES (part 1); RISK VERSUS REWARD (Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance)
- Poor vs Rich on the Lake (First Gen American)
- Sustainability Tip #182: Rethink Your Sunscreen (Sustainable PF)
- The Hunt for a Home (Narrow Bridge)
- Vacations Spoiled: Ten Vacation Miseries and How To Prevent ‘Em! (Dr. Dean)
- 5 Ways to Save Money on Your Wedding (Prairie EcoThrifter)
- Eloping: Saving Money on Your Big Day (MomVesting)
- Financial Freedom At 45 (The Passive Income Earner)
- Networking Saves Money And Your Health (Financially Consumed)
- The Case for a Bigger Emergency Fund (Squirrelers)
- Canadian Finance Carnival #43 (Canadian Finance Blog)
- Summer heat Carnival of Debt Reduction (Carnival of Debt Reduction)
- Totally Money Blog Carnival #25 – Start of Summer Edition (Beat the GMAT)
- Yakezie Carnival – Tour de France Financial Factoids – June 26th, 2011 Edition (My Personal Finance Journey)
Hope you’re enjoying the weekend, and thanks for stopping by!