It was the Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival (中秋节 [Zhōng qiū jié]) on Wednesday this week! I got together with some of my Chinese friends to eat dinner at our host’s home, marvel at the very bright full moon and nearby Jupiter, and eat moon cakes.
In case you missed them, here are my posts of the week:
- How to Take a Frugal Vacation in Paradise. Guest writer Amo Tango talks about her recent trip to Cuba, which included a flight, excursions, hotel, food, drinks, and souvenirs, and all for less than $800!
- Is It Really That Expensive to Eat Healthy Food? I have heard from a few people that one reason they don’t cook at home is because they believe that it’s actually more expensive to do so. I share my own personal experience.
- Public Safety, or Public Revenue? This is a mini-rant by me on certain observations regarding the focus of traffic enforcement.
- Saving on Taxes and Growing Your Wealth with the Tax Free Savings Account (TFSA). The TFSA should be a major building block of your investment and retirement plan.
Here were my favorite reads of the week:
- Beating the Index: Stock Picks: Perpetual Energy (TSE:PMT)
- Beating the Index gives his thoughts on PMT’s future, and why he invests in PMT. If you are interested in commodities and the Canadian oil & gas sector, then you’ll want to give this one a read.
- Balance Junkie: Investment Strategies for Biflation
- Balance Junkie gives her thoughts on different strategies one can use when investing, in these times of both inflation and deflation.
- Hope to Prosper: Memo to Government: Cut Spending
- Hope to Prosper gives his thoughts on excessive government spending.
- Financial Samurai: Renters Should Pay More Taxes
- Financial Samurai tells us why it’s not enough that renters pay rent: maybe they should pay an additional renter’s tax, too!
- Personal Finance By The Book: Four Ways a Part Time Job Will Change Your Life Forever
- Joe Plemon gives us four different examples of how taking on an additional part-time job can greatly improve your life.
- Everyday Tips & Thoughts: What Will Happen When Kids Have To Live In The Real World?
- What happens when parents abdicate all sense of responsibility over their kids? All hell breaks loose.
- Generation X Finance: The Educated Indentured Servant
- Roshawn Watson has a great guest post up on the effects of the ballooning costs of higher education, and the ensuing debt burden that it places on some graduates.
- DIY Investor: What is the FOMC
- Want to learn more about the Federal Open Market Committee and what they do? DIY Investor gives us an overview.
- Wealth Artisan: Making Your Money Into Enough Money
- Wealth Artisan talks about ways to avoid temptation and avoid spending your money unnecessarily.
- Wealth Informatics: Take this house and shove it
- This is a very interesting post on how the tables have turned: Whereas in the past, banks were able to foreclose an entire home over missed payments, now people can shove underwater homes back to the bank and force them to take the loss!
… and please check out these additional articles that I liked:
- Why Things Are Not As Bad As You Think (Buy Like Buffett)
- Larry MacDonald: China the next Enron? (Canadian Business Online Blog)
- Poverty Level is 14%:What Say You? (The Millionaire Nurse Blog)
- Peter Schiff: Japan Intervenes to Bail Out America.com (EuroPAC)
- Economic Freedom of the World Annual Report 2010 (Let A Thousand Nations Bloom)
- When U.S. Tax Returns Vote With Their Feet… (Let A Thousand Nations Bloom)
- The Empirical Case against Government Stimulus (Mises Economics Blog)
- This Is Why There Are No Jobs in America (Daily Wealth)
- UK Proposes All Paychecks Go to the State First (CNBC)
- Role Reversal: Chinese Manufacturers Setting Up Shop In America (PSFK)
- What the Heck is Inflammation? Why Should You Care? (The Fitness Black Book)
- September 2010 Dividend Income Update (My Own Advisor)
- Investing And Allocating Assets In Light Of Economic Weakness And Deflation (Investing Thesis)
- The Weekend Investor Strategy (Invest in the Markets)
- Warren Buffett / Berkshire Hathaway Portfolio Changes (My Financial Objectives)
- Dividend Investing 101: The Magic of Dividend Stock (The Loonie Bin)
- GOLD, OIL AND CHINA (Financial Sense)
- I, Bank (or When Computers Take Over Wall Street) (Singularity Hub)
- Energy Savings Often Exaggerated (Canadian Capitalist)
- The Secret to Amazing Life Success (Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance)
- Jobs that no longer exist in 2010 (Frugal Zeitgeist)
- Scholarships, Bursaries, and Used Books (In Search of Salt)
- Stay Down Brother, Stay Down (Andrew Hallam)
- Entrepeneur Envy + Diversification (First Gen American)
- Grease’s Financial Crisis: Why You Can’t Blame It On Wendy’s (Len Penzo)
- Timelapse Montage (The Biz of Life)
- Russians to Build Floating Nuclear Plant to Aid Arctic Oil Drilling (Let A Thousand Nations Bloom)
- Genetically Modified Salmon Could Be On Your Plate Soon (Singularity Hub)
- Disaster Shelters (Overcoming Bias)
- How Super Annoying People Can Be Your Greatest Blessing (RBs Keys to Successful Living)
- Why Is USA Different? (Overcoming Bias)
- Brain-hacking art: Making an emotional impression (KurzweilAI)
- Building Up an Emergency Fund (Couple Money)
- What Does It Really Cost? (Financially Poor)
- Did You Opt-In For Overdraft Protection? Tips For Avoiding The Overdraft Fees (Free From Broke)
- Can you live without these in order to simplify your finances? (Simple Financial Lifestyle)
- How Much Should I be Saving? (Canadian Finance Blog)
- Tactics for Avoiding Home Foreclosure (Personal Dividends)
- Going Too Far to Save Money (Budgeting In the Fun Stuff)
- How To Prepare For a Financial Hardship Before It Happens (Redeeming Riches)
- Mortgage Unemployment Insurance (Wealth Pilgrim)
- 10 Ways to Budget and Spend Less Than You Earn (Maximizing Money)
- Chavez pushes Venezuela into food war (Telegraph.co.uk)
- “Pol Pot’s genocide multiplied 20 times over” (Mises Economics Blog)
- The Freedoms Intended For Us (Mises Economics Blog)
- The Decivilizing Effects of Government (Mises Daily)
My roundup includes sites that mentioned Invest It Wisely over the past week; thanks for including me, and please let me know if I forgot to mention you!
Video of the week
Thanks to Canadian Capitalist for sharing this:
Have a great weekend, and see you next week.
P.S. Don’t forget to check out the giveaway contest!